Thursday 22 February 2024

My Neighbour Totoro – taking joyful to the extreme

Back in mid-autumn, as I was coming out of the initial dark phase of my partner of 34-plus years having died, I started rather frenetically booking cultural events. The quoted reviews on the trailer for the return of the RSC production of My Neighbour Totoro at the Barbican particularly caught my eye. One, from The Stage, declared that it was a “huge healing hug of a show”.

Got me right there. I had no knowledge of Studio Ghibli or any of its films, but a “healing hug” sounded like a bloody good idea! I bought a ticket.

I mentioned this to my niece who, while envious of the theatre ticket, told me in no uncertain terms to ‘see the film first’.

Then, as we neared Christmas, I saw cinema trailers for a new Studio Ghibli film, The Boy and the Heron. It looked worth watching – so I made it the centre of my Boxing Day. And was blown away.

I subsequently ordered Tortoro and Spirited Away on discs – better than streaming, not least given the home cinema set-up I have.

Spirited Away was the centrepiece of my New Year’s Day – and I loved it.

And so I came to watching Totoro this evening, as my theatre date with the Japanese troll is on Monday.

Wow – just wow.

It’s set in 1950s Japan, where kind university professor Tatsuo Kusakabe and his daughters Satsuki and Mei (10 and four years old, respectively) move into an old house in a rural environment, close to a hospital where their mother is recovering from a long-term illness.

The children start seeing – and interacting with – varied sprites and supernatural beings, including Totoro, a giant (fluffy) troll.

There are familiar themes from the Ghibli films I’ve previously seen: children finding themselves in new environments after a move; lonely, disoriented and distressed by family loss; nature, adventures that lead to supernatural encounters.

It is a short film (blessings be upon the studio!) but absolutely gorgeous and utterly joyful! By the end, I had tears streaming down my face while also wearing a Cheshire cat (like the cat bus) grin.

Directed and co-written by Hayao Miyazaki, it is an absolute joy. Wondrous.

No comments:

Post a Comment