Friday 9 February 2024

The Royal Tenenbaums – an absolute catch-up joy

Playing catch-up again, I started the weekend – and it’s going to be a fairly busy (for me) few days of film watching – with sticking a disc on to watch Wes Anderson’s 2001 The Royal Tenenbaums for the first time.

Tony and my first encounter with Anderson’s utterly individual style was via a disc of Grand Budapest Hotel, on the particularly enthusiastic recommendation of a friend/colleague who is also a part-time film critic (and is taking me to a critics’ screening next week).

We were seriously impressed – so much so that we saw the next three Anderson releases in the cinema.

And as that implies, we continued to like – and increasingly ‘get’ – what we were seeing; not least, in terms of Anderson’s cinematic vernacular.

Early this evening, half an hour after finishing work, after feeding Otti cat and doing a bit of house work, I popped a Blu-ray of Tenenbaums into the slot and sat back with a tumbler of Hotel Chocolat chocolate salted caramel vodka.

It’s brilliant – I mean the film (though the booze is excellent too).

A family with Royal Anderson at the head is full of success and childhood genius, yet falls from that with bickering, betrayal, deceit and also the sheer fear of others knowing the truth.

The style is totally Anderson: colour palettes, mannered dialogue, short scenes as ‘chapters’, dysfunctional relationships, narration, and an incredible ensemble cast.

Gene Hackman, as the titular Royal Anderson, is arguably not an obvious Anderson-type actor, but gives a superb performance in one of the last films before his retirement. Such a great contrast to the likes of Popeye Doyle. Without doubt one of the finest of his career.

Angelica Huston as his wife is also simply wonderful, bringing a contrasting quietness to this central relationship.

I was astonished to learn that Owen Wilson co-wrote the script with Anderson as well as playing a significant role. Until relatively recently, I’d only seen trailers of Wilson in films that looked (to me) like they were a waste of time – until Tony and I saw him in the first season of Loki. And were a tad re-educated. Here – never mind finding his CV credentials being buffed by his writing credit, it’s also a very good performance, and he looks … well … buff’.

Possibly the best I’ve ever seen Gwyneth Paltrow; Bill Murray is lovely, subtle and warm in his role, and Danny Glover adds real dignity, grace and warmth too.

I realise I haven’t mentioned Ben Stiller, who in general, I feel an active dislike for on the basic of what I see as, being in infantile bollocks. I was moving to that view here. Until late on, when he showed the ability to move from the least nuanced character to one experiencing a real revelation.

Luke Wilson too, is less well known than his brother. But really does give a great performance in this as the desperately unhappy tennis genius.

Funny and moving. Absolutely loved it. What a great start to the weekend!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment